This older floor model belt/disc sander did not have any dust removal ports on it originally. When I first got it, I installed a dust collection port for the disc sander.
Lead photo shows original sander with first dust collection port
This older floor model belt/disc sander did not have any dust removal ports on it originally. When I first got it, I installed a dust collection port for the disc sander. That port turned out to be too small for effective dust collection. It also didn’t service my belt sander, so I decided to do the overhaul that you see here.
Dust build up below motor pulley
Large oblong opening needs seal
A. New port installed, B. Old port covered
A. Flange coated with silicon, B. Motor shaft hole fitted with seal
Orginal belt guard (at driven end of belt)
Heating/ventilating pipe reducer, modified and pop riveted into place
The location of the original modification seemed good, because it didn’t interfere with the tilting of the table located at the disc. However, if you remove the table, and open the front access door, there’s a build up of dust below the motor pulley.
After measuring the present enclosure (and considering the flow of materials from the disc) I decided to move the location of my original pick-up port. I removed the old port and patched the remaining hole. The new opening would be in direct line with the natural flow of materials being thrown off the disc as it rotates.
To allow easier access to the cover (and allow me to cut out the new port with power tools) I removed the guard from the disc and drive belt. When I removed the drive pulley from the motor shaft, I noticed a large oblong opening in the guard around the motor drive shaft. That opening would require some type of seal to make the dust collection effective.
Next, I removed the disc to get at the three bolts that hold the guard in place.
Once the guard was removed it was a good opportunity to clean the whole machine and lubricate the bearings prior to reassembly.
Notice that the original opening has been covered and the leading edge of the access door has been trimmed away. That creates better airflow on the downward side of the disc, which helps to carry the dust into the guard and on to the dust port.
To increase dust collection, I did the following: at “A” the flange was coated with silicone to provide a seal, at “B” the motor shaft hole was fitted with a seal made from a galvanized metal plate with rubber gasket (i.e. old inner tube). I also ran a thin piece of weather stripping around the inner edge of the access door to provide a seal when the door is closed.
The guard wraps around the end of the belt and extends the same distance underneath the belt as it does on top. I wanted to modify the guard to act as a dust pick-up. To make that an easier task, I modified a 4″-3″ heating/ventilating pipe reducer and riveted it in place.
It could be further improved by installing a strip of nylon brush along the underside edge of the guard, to assist in controlling the flow of air and dust to the pick-up port.